Pontus J. Back - The Music
LATEST NEWS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE!!!
Music has always been an important part of Pontus life. When he was a little boy he saw Elvis Presley on the TV and he started to dream. His dream was to become a rockstar. At the age of four he got his first guitar and started to learn the first Elvis riffs. Later he studied classical music and played both trumpet and cello. This was not what he dreamed about. His dream was to rock! During his childhood he played in some local bands with good friends and continued playing in local bands until 1995.
In 1995 he took off to London, England when he met former Whitesnake guitarist Micky Moody. They became friends and worked together for a while. It was through Moody, Pontus was introduces to other musicians on the London rock and roll scene. This is when all started and his dream started to become true. He did several tours as a bass player for London names as Willy Finlayson, Steve Simpson and Ian Hunt to name a few.
From 1995 to 2006 Pontus toured with different bands and line ups featuring members from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Status Quo, Gary More, Cinderella and Chubby Checker to name a few. What he did not realise was that the life style of a touring rock musician slowly killed him. In 2007 he laid on his deathbed and this is where he had an encounter with Jesus.
A new era
Immediately Pontus started to write new songs. This time with an important and meaningful message. His first record ”Ride to Freedom” was released in 2009. It featured his old friend Garry Nutt on bass.
The second album ”Thankful" came in 2011 and was mostly recorded locally with local musicians. The title track ”Thankful” became one of the songs Pontus loves the most.
- I love the song, listening to the album today I just feel that it is not me. It is over produced, but is a wonderful album, Pontus says.
In 2014 he started to work on a new project that became the ”HOPE” album that was released in 2016. This was some kind of rock and roll history for Pontus as he got to have some of his old friends on the album.
- Just to have John Coghlan (Status Quo) and Dave Hlubek (Molly Hatchet) on the album meant much to me and it was time for me to take up these relationships. Unfortunately Dave went to be with the Lord but we established a good friendship during the last years, Pontus continues.
10 years with Jesus 2017
As Pontus Celebrated 10 years with Jesus he decided to do something different. He went to his roots with Elvis and the rockabilly music and released the record ”Rockabilly Redneck” with some of his favourite songs from the old albums with a few new songs in Rockabilly versions.
- This was the second album I did with songwriter and producer Janne Hyöty. It was a fun project to work with and I am happy with the record. I think this is the most sold album so far as we have reached over 4000 copies sold, Pontus says
The dream of America 2018
In 2018 Pontus released a four track EP ”The dream of America”. The title track tells his story how he as a little child saw Elvis on TV and how he started to dream of America and finally got to experience the land of the free and the home of the brave.
- Sice a little boy I had the dream to visit America. When the dream became true I fell in love with the country, Pontus explains.
Rock Force One 2019
Pontus finished the work on his fifth solo albun ”Rock Force One” in August 2019. It will be louder and heavier than any other album but will also include some deep ballads. The official release date for the single "Preacher Man" is September 27th and the full album is being released October 13th.
- I am excited about this album. I grew up with the 1980’s and early 1990’s hard rock and heavy. You can really hear a mixture of that sound and southern rock. Some stuff really turned out sounding like ”Georgia Satellites” and I did not mean to do it that way but it rocks. This project has been something else. Been great to work with Janne Hyöty as co producer again. I am so thankful for all who were involved in this project, Pontus says.
THE SECULAR 2020
In early 2020 Pontus felt that it was time to step out of the boat and go fishing on deeper waters. He picked some of his all time favourite songs that he used to play with his old bands as Rubbish Brothers and Skinny Molly, to name a few.
- I am tired to preach to the choir and the new secular album gives me the opportunity to reach the people who not yet believe, Pontus explains.
The albums is a mixture of rock and roll, blues and southern rock. Pontus did some own versions of all the songs.
- I did it simple and fun. Some people thought I lost my faith in Christ and did not really listen to any of the songs. Take the Lynyrd Skynyrd Song "Start Living Life Again" as an example. Way better than todays christian songs, Pontus continues
UNPLUGGED FAVOURITES FALL 2020
During the summer of 2020, Pontus was touring in northern Finland. Almost as north as you can get in Finland. He also did a tour of Sweden. During the summer he decided to record an acoustic album and he had a good reason for that.
- I had been doing an acoustic gig and this qute elderly lady came up to me and wante do to buy a cd. I understood that she wanted the kind of music I just had played and I did not have the heart to sell her a rock and roll cd, Pontus says.
Pontus called his old friend Janne Hyöty and started the recording the first song August 19th. The title track "Stormy Waters" is the first project with songwriter Micke Stridsberg from Sweden and together they have written the lyrics to the title track. The single "Stormy Waters - Amazing Grace" will be released on-line, September 11th 2020 and the full album will be out October 1st 2020.
- It all went fast. No logic at all but that how it goes when God is in charge and I am very pleased with the result, it sounds live and thats how I wanted it. Sister Maria Strattons voice gives it that little extra that gives you goose bumps, Pontus continues.
THE COVID TIMES 2020-2021
We all have felt the Covid-19 pandemic since the beginning of 2020. This also showed off in Pontus life. He who was used to spend 200+ days on the road per year all of a sudden had to stay at home and only do short missions trips in Finland and Sweden. These not so many. But this also brought blessings as people like E Tapani Savolainen and Ave Pasuri did all the could to encourage Pontus to keep rockin' for Jesus.
- It just felt so right to go in the studio again and start writing new material. It started with some really rockin' songs that became the first of two albums; "Born again to rock and roll", Pontus says.
- While i was recording and writing new material I also started to play some blues after a long time. I have always thought it would be good to do a full blues album since I was inducted in to the Blues Hall of Fame in 2015. I have had this in mind for years but I gues the time was right now and the pandemic made it possible to spend days in the studio, Pontus explains.
Since the times has been what they have been things did not work out as scheduled. The Born again to rock and roll album was scheduled to be released before the summer of 2021 and On my knees more towards the fall. Both releases are delayed for different reasons but they are on their way out.
- We want to do the best for the Lord as well as those who are listening. Keyboardist Zet Tonmyr (Jerusalem) has been waiting for a new Hammond organ but there has been delays in the production due to the slow delivery of components. I guess there is a meaning with everything and both albums are under work. They will be released when they are ready and as I use to say, the albums are ready when engineer and producer Janne Hyöty says so, Pontus says.